Sunday, February 20, 2011

Week 6 Reflections

In class last week we discussed the survey for the gaming talk in terms of whether we would hire McGonigal back and what we would change if we were McGonigal. I originally would have said that a library should for sure hire her back. I thought she was a good speaker, interesting, and very enthusiastic. However, after talking with my group, I'm no longer completely certain. She did not really explain her ideas clearly and, based on the survey, did not make huge impacts in people's personal or professional lives. It's kind of sad how easily impressed I am and how easily I am persuaded to completely change my opinion. We also got into our cohort groups to discuss the bloggers we have been following. It was interesting to hear about some of the issues that came up in other blogs and to hear different interpretations of the blogs I did read. The best part for me was discussing the Librarian in Black with some of my cohorts. I knew there was something about her I didn't quite like but I couldn't put my finger on it. I guess a lot of people got a bad vibe from her because she is self-promoting and comes across as slightly full of herself. That made me feel better about not liking her. The rest of the time was mainly spent on transfer, which is interesting but not my favorite topic.

I loved this weeks readings about book clubs and Socratic Seminars. Barbara Hoffert's article ("The Book Club Exploded") had great ideas for book clubs. From author participation to having participants read different books, the suggestions all seemed like good ways to add excitement to book clubs, especially for patrons who don't normally like book clubs. They were also very doable for a public library. I love reading about new ideas that will attract more people to the library. The only thing that I didn't agree with was the implication that the "old" book clubs are no longer a good choice. Personally, "chitchat about beloved beloved classics or recent best sellers" sounds like fun to me, and not just because I am a library student. I think a lot of patrons would still like this type of book club and getting rid of it just to attract new patrons seems a little unfair to them. I think trying new types of book clubs is a great idea, but not at the expense of the traditional book club.

The other two readings focused specifically on Socratic Seminars. Lynda Tredway explained the idea behind Socratic Seminars, while Margaret Metzger showed how it could be put into practice. I had no idea what a Socratic seminar was before this, but the idea is actually not that complicated. It's basically a discussion where students respectfully question themselves and each other to get at the meaning of a passage (or whatever the discussion is about). I was very impressed by the success of Margaret Metzger's seminars with her freshman students. I would have loved having an experience like that in my high school English classes. Well, probably at the time I would not have liked it, but based on the improvements the students experienced in thoroughly analyzing texts, expressing themselves, and accepting constructive criticism, I think I really could have benefitted from it. I am kind of looking forward to our demo Socratic Seminar in class and kind of dreading it.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you, Katie, for a splendid defense of the tea-party chitchat. (Though the tea is iced and coffee is de rigueur. Don't forget the cookies.) You are right that most Book Club participants get together to socialize and talk about books they love, not to study a text critically. Clubs can be centered around the concerns of young mothers, retirees, special interests or hobbies, religious beliefs, best sellers (even Oprah selections), or any theme imaginable, but they only hang together if participants enjoy each others' company and comments. That doesn't mean trying new things isn't a great idea--the online club sounds like a great alternative to people unable to meet in real time and author visits are always fun. My favorite suggestion is for everyone to read a personal selection based on a theme, then share. If several read the same book, fine, but they may also find out about other books of interest on the same theme. Still time for chitchat and coffee, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a socratic seminar-like book club would be pretty interesting, at least that's the type of book club I would be tempted to go to or have. I did like these articles too though, the socratic seminar is always a good way to go to fully understand what the text says.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate to completely echo Susan, here, but I also want to thank you for not dissing or ditching the traditional book club.
    To tell the truth, I suspect that many people join book clubs for the chance to get together and chat with friends rather than to read books. BUT, by joining these clubs, they do end up reading books, which is a win in my opinion. If book clubs were to downplay the chat and snack, they wouldn't have the interest that they do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hear, hear for traditional book clubs! I know they aren't for everyone, therefore, newer techniques are always good to add. I just don't think we should get rid of the gossips, tea, and snack kind. A Socratic seminar would seems a little too school-like for me and book clubs are a about relaxing to some degree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "It's kind of sad how easily impressed I am and how easily I am persuaded to completely change my opinion." --me too. I just got roped into seeing the "Director's Fan Cut" limited-edition screening of the Justin Bieber movie and came away saying "well, he's not so bad." haha

    After hearing from/reading about library patrons upset with how the public library is no longer the traditional (i.e. quiet, book-focused, academic, literary) place it used to be, I also agree that it's important to keep the traditional book club format alive, as long as patrons are happy with it. Mixing things up, trying new approaches, etc. is all great, but listen to the patrons! Maybe offer different formats and be clear about what patrons can expect.

    ReplyDelete