Sunday, February 6, 2011

Week 4 Reflections

In class last week we discussed the concept of "information literacy." Even after reading the articles I was still unclear on what it was, and I guess for a good reason. Definitions tend to be very general and abstract, with words that don't really mean anything (like "use"). It was very helpful for me when we got into groups to create our own definitions. One of my group members had a teaching background and her view of "information literacy" was much more general than mine. She saw the "information" part as literally ALL types of information, while I was focusing on just information about researching (like finding and evaluating sources, connecting facts...) which doesn't take into account most of what students learn in school. Our final definition was "the ability to take information learned in a theoretical environment, evaluate its relevance and usefulness, use critical thinking skills to decide whether to employ or disregard it, and then implement it into practical situations." By looking at it from this point of view, "information literacy" really fits a lot more with our past classes about teaching so that students can make connections and gain more of an "expert" type of knowledge. 

I found the readings for this week pretty interesting. The Sadler article dealt with various forms of feedback and formative assessment. I mostly agreed with what was said. I think feedback is much more useful for students when it comes regularly and is in the form of comments, rather than just grades. I also liked that Sadler discouraged feedback and grades that are based on curves and giving a certain percentage of students high grades or low grades. Although I felt this extreme pride whenever I knew that I got the highest grade in a class, I still think that competition in school should be discouraged and more emphasis should be placed on improvement and learning. The only thing I really disagreed with in the article was how much importance was placed on students' being able to do self-assessment. Sadler makes it seem like the ability to accurately evaluate your own work will then improve it. I do not agree with this. I know when I have done a good job on an assignment, and I am usually (painfully) aware of just how bad certain other assignments are. Now, I know it seems silly that I  would knowingly turn in a bad assignment, but sometimes I really just don't know how to make it better. I know what needs to be fixed but I can't seem to get it. In cases like this, the ability to evaluate my own work accurately is of no help to me.

Chapter 6 of How People Learn discussed the different types of learning environments (learner, knowledge, assessment, and community centered) and how they all must be included and work together to create a successful learning environment. I had never thought of the different types, but they all seem extremely important, and it seems almost obvious that you would need a balance of the different environments. The way I see it, learner and knowledge centered environments are about the actual teaching. Learner centered takes into account the students' backgrounds, while knowledge centered focuses on the methods and activities that help students understand what is being taught. Assessment centered (very similar to the Sadler article) is about the feedback the teachers give. It is sometimes separate from the teaching (like in summative assessment), or very much a part of it (like in formative assessment). Community centered environments seem to have less to do with teaching and more to do with the feel of the class. This environment seems to be less of its own type, and more of a combination of the other three interacting (which is maybe why the diagram shows it as surrounding/including the other environments). The form of assessment will greatly affect the community, as will the degree to which the environment is learner and knowledge centered. I thought it was interesting that outside communities (and television) were included in the community centered environment, since there is little teachers can do to affect it. I guess teachers really just need to acknowledge it is there, it has an affect on students, and it can potentially be used to help students.

I'm not completely sure how the readings will relate to public libraries, where learning situations tend to be short, and on a one-time bases. The learning environments seemed pretty similar to the readings for our first class (chapters one and two) and probably relate in a similar way. It will be important as a teaching librarian for me to take into account my students'/patrons' past knowledge and find ways to teach to all learning types. I don't know how I will bring assessment into it, however. Hopefully class will relate it to libraries a bit.

5 comments:

  1. Katie, I think what you say about the importance (or lack of importance) of self-assessment is interesting. I have certainly been in that same place where I know I turned bad work, but wasn't sure how to improve it. However, what happens when the students who aren't able to self-assess their work get a bad grade they don't think they deserve? Will they strive to improve their work if they don't think they need to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the readings were more focused towards teaching librarians instead of public librarians. When you're a public librarian it is more difficult to understand the background knowledge of your patrons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your reflection on the importance and value of comments (as formative assessment) instead of just grades really struck me. Since I'm student teaching right now, I am constantly being reminded of the early stages of the learning process. When students are just learning something new, they are often unsure what the teacher is expecting from them, what they are supposed to "get" out of a lesson or activity, what they can get away with, etc. That formative assessment gives them the chance to find out in immediate and direct ways how to adjust their thinking and actions, rather than just guessing and hoping they've figured out what the teacher is hoping for.

    In regards to knowing work is "bad" and turning it in anyway because of not knowing how to make it better, I think this is where great, constructive feedback from a teacher (or someone else) is really important. Even after conferencing with teachers I have often been unsure how to proceed to make my work better. I definitely agree that just being able to self-assess isn't enough. Being able to diagnose and identify an effective path toward improvement is really what we need to be developing in students. Unfortunately, I'm not really sure how to get there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your reflections on the different kinds of learning environments and how they interact are really thought-provoking. In the community-centered learning environment, I think an instructor can be more empowered than just acknowledging that outside factors like the community itself and television exist. There's a real opportunity there to not only take those things into account as preexisting knowledge factors, but also to steer your students/patrons toward the valuable resources there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Building on the comments about self-assessment, I would suggest that we need to differentiate, "I don't know if this is good or not," from, "I know how to fix it." If we have an awareness that our work isn't what it should be, we can seek help. Yes?

    ReplyDelete