Sunday, March 6, 2011

Week 7 Reflections

I don't have a lot to say about the last class because I missed it due to snow. I went through the slides and I am very sad to have missed Vicki Browne quest speak about book clubs. I love book clubs and public librarians! It looks like she had a lot of great stuff to say. Luckily the notes Kristin took on her presentation were very detailed so I still got a lot of the information. I looked up AADL's Book Clubs To Go and there are some really great books there! A lot of them I have read or have been meaning to read (I still haven't switched back to adult books after 624). The rest of the class seemed to be tips about book clubs and Socratic Seminars. I am interested to hear more about how the practice Socratic Seminar went. The Darnton article brought up great points and I wish I had heard other people's opinions.

This weeks readings were for our book clubs. For my group I had to read The Lady or the Tiger? by Frank Stockton, Cinnamon by Neil Gaiman, The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry, and The Last Question by Isaac Asimov. Oh and also my group's which is The Goose Girl by the Brothers Grimm. I did a quick read of all the stories but I am not meeting with my group until next week so I will go more in depth on them later. I think it is interesting how different everyone's stories are. They took place in everything from the past to the future and covered fantasy, science fiction, and realistic fiction. I am really looking forward to the book clubs next week.

Sorry for such a short post! Hopefully the next few weeks will make up for it.

3 comments:

  1. Your colleagues picked some great readings. If your book club goes anything like tonight's did, you'll really enjoy it! I did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of readings, the ending of The Goose Girl gave me nightmares. A barrel with nails poking into it? Seriously? *shudder*

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is too bad you missed the class because it was very interesting. Vicki was so informative. I am so glad to know about Book Clubs To Go. I informed my personal book club about it and now we are doing one of the packets for our April book club.

    ReplyDelete